The core functions of Ministry of Provincial Government and Institutional Strengthening (MPGIS) as indicated in the pdf Provincial Government Act 1997 (369 KB) include:
- Administration of the Provincial Government Act 1997
- Capacity Building in Provincial Government Development Support and Supervision
- Capacity Building of Provincial Assemblies, Executives and Administrations
- Provincial Development Planning
- Provincial Budgets and Funding System
- Provincial Elections
- Bi-Annual Premiers Conference
- Resettlement Planning and Management Schemes
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting systems to ensure accountability and transparency
National Strategies, Policies and Ministry Functions
The core functions of the Ministry of Provincial Government and Institutional Strengthening (MPGIS) are aligned the objectives and expected outcomes of national strategies and policies.
At the ministerial level, this alignment is mainly achieved through the MPGIS’ corporate planning and annual work planning processes that act as the implementing vehicles for national objectives.
Most prominent among the national strategies is the pdf National Development Strategy 2016-35 (1.01 MB) and national Government policies which draw on the objectives of the NDS. Objective 5 of the NDS aims to achieve a unified nation with stable and effective governance and public order.
This objective is supported by the Medium Term Strategy 13 of the NDS which aims to reduce corruption and improve governance at the national, provincial and community levels in order to develop effective, accountable and transparent institutions at all levels.
These national objectives and related implementing strategies are aligned with the core mandate of the MPGIS and are therefore integrated into relevant programmes of the Ministry.